Shell to Drill Offshore Namibia

Image: Pexels

Royal Dutch Shell has collected data indicating a potential world class, deep water petroleum system at its offshore bloc, 30km north of Namibia-South Africa border.

The oil major is working in collaboration with Kosmos Energy and the National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor) to study the findings; with the aim to start drilling by early 2020.

“It’s still very much a frontier area, meaning we don’t have a positive task yet, and so the probability of success is still in line with the frontier area. Once we drill a well, we will know what we have,” says Shell’s Upstream Vice President for exploration, Africa and Middle East, Colette Hirstius.

Shell has been operating in Namibia since 2014 and has acquired a 90% controlling interest in Petroleum Exploration License 39, which is located offshore Namibia, with the remaining 10% stake held by Namcor.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Latest Posts

Subscribe For Updates

Sign up for latest news and event info

Copyright © 2021 Africa Oil & Power. Privacy Policy · Terms of Use