Tanzania power project due for completion

Image: Sumitomo Corporation

The Kinyerezi II power project which will contribute an additional 240MW to Tanzania’s national power grid, is due for completion next month.

The power project is the first combined cycle plant to be constructed in East Africa.

Speaking at a two-day oil & gas conference held in Tanzania, site general manager Mr Shoji Watababe said: “We are currently working on a few technical issues before completing the project. The work plan shows that until next month, the project will be concluded,” allAfrica.com reported on Wednesday.

Tanzania Electric Supply Corporation Board Chairman, Mr Alexander Kyaruzi said Tanzania’s total power generation stood at 1 513.3 MW, and that 782.82 MW of that was generated from natural gas.

“More than 50 percent of national electricity capacity is generated from nine natural gas projects. We expect to implement other gas-powered projects, including the Kinyerezi III and IV,” Mr Alexander added.

Once the project becomes fully operational, it will add 36 million standard cubic feet per day to the national gas demand and will save Tanzania up to $1 billion annually on oil imports for electricity generation.

15 percent of the project is funded by the Tanzanian government, while the Japan Bank for International Cooperation and the Sumitomo Mitsui Corporation financed the other 85 percent.


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin

Latest Posts

Subscribe For Updates

Sign up for latest news and event info

Copyright © 2021 Africa Oil & Power. Privacy Policy · Terms of Use